Monday, December 21, 2009

A whole week off!

A week off used to mean driving up and down I-55, visiting family, or maybe a trip across I-10 for a quick trip to the beach. Even hopping onto a plane to visit a new place. But now? I couldn't be more excited at the prospect of a week free of work for an entirely different reason.

Home improvement.

I started my week off by staying an extra day with my grandparents. Home improvement fail! Well, sort of. I did replace a shorted out light switch in their bathroom, and consult with anyone who would listen about our paint colors.

Yes, we changed our mind AGAIN. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed. But we've got it. We've definitely got it.

What makes me so sure? After all, I've changed my mind over, and over, and over again. Well, I went and dropped a nice chunk of change on a couple of gallons of paint in Benjamin Moore Going to the Chapel. It's the corniest name ever, but it's gorgeous. And I expect it to make my mom and grandma sing the catchy/annoying song every time we talk about it (just like they did the entire morning of our wedding day).

It's a subtle change. A little beige-er and a lot lighter, it's just want we wanted for our kitchen. Our mantra is light, bright, shades of white. I really think our final vision for the house is starting to take shape.

Out with the old:



In with the new:



Tomorrow, I'm taping and priming over the thirteen colors painted on the wall. Then we'll take a movie break to see our beloved Michael K. Williams in The Road (although I admit I'm kind of apprehensive about some of the more disturbing scenes of the book. I have to think they cut some of it out). Then hopefully in the afternoon, I'll get at least one coat on the walls.

I also have to do a couple loads of laundry to prepare for the laundry room clean out. I'm hoping to get that painted this week, too. Along with fixing that damn cat door and touching up the porch (okay, okay, I still haven't done that). Brett is working all week, so he gets out of all of the manual labor. Lucky.