Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Turn and face the strain!

When I think back to the colors we had planned when we first bought our house, I have to laugh. After living here, and using a bright green bathroom for six months, our color choices have changed so much.

After almost six years of apartment living, we were tired of white or beige walls and not being able to do anything about it. So we were thrilled with the possibility of adding color to our home with just a can and a brush. We scoffed at people with all beige houses. I know the words "Beige is not a color" came out of my house many times.

Who would have thought less than a year later, we would be opening a can of paint so light, we thought it hadn't been tinted? Who would have thought I'd be butt crazy in love with a color most people would call beige (It's putty, people. Putty.)?

And yet here we are. And I know why people have totally neutral homes. It's not because they don't have imagination or they can't choose colors. It's because those colors are soothing, relaxing, and beautiful. We still hate a lot of neutrals, but we also hate a lot of colors (we have never even glanced at a red paint swatch. We both love red, but not for our walls, thank you very much). And our old bedroom color is an illustration that there are neutrals that are just a really bad idea.

I would have loved to paint the entire house before moving in. But with a turnaround starting the day after we closed (which means two to four weeks of 16 hour workdays for me), and a lease that was quickly running out, we just didn't have the time. And now, I'm really glad. If we had used the colors we originally planned on, we would have ended up with something like this.



Now that we've lived here almost nine months, we've gone through so many changes. But we've settled on this, and I really think we're there.



Of course, some of the colors will change. We may choose different shades based on light. And that bathroom is sticking out like a sore thumb, so I'm sure it will be repainted. But we're finding our style, and we really love it.