Friday, December 25, 2009

Oh By Golly!

We're having a holly jolly kind of Christmas this year!

I'll be totally honest. We opened our presents a few days ago. We're hopeless when it comes to waiting for anything. I got Brett a ratcheting screwdriver set, a new wallet, some t-shirts, sock, and undies, and some little odds and ends. I also got a nice miter saw, but that's really for both of us. He wasn't supposed to get me anything because I already got my gift in the form of a kitchen sink and faucet, but he surprised me with a Zagg invisibleSHIELD for my iPhone, and Planet Earth on Bluray. Best. Husband. Ever.

From our parents and other family, we got a great card game called Dominion (which we're playing tonight!), gift cards to Sherwin Williams and Lowe's, an adorable owl cookie jar (plus several other owls to add to my collection), another pair of Tom's shoes, some really nice cologne, and some small Le Creuset pieces. We're also the proud owners of two Snuggies and we have plenty of cold, hard cash on hand to finish our kitchen makeover.

But just because we got our gifts early doesn't mean we're having any less of a wonderful day.

We started the day by turning on the heater and taking a trip to Waffle House for breakfast. After a delicious bacony breakfast and a big tip for the waitress, we came home and set to work on the kitchen.

We're not doing anything dirty or difficult today. Before we go there, we need to make another trip to the hardware store. But our house is finally liveable, and our kitchen workable again!

We started by cleaning out and reorganizing the cabinets and drawers. They were sporting some blue marbled contact paper, so we're replacing it with a white non-skid pad. Unfortunately three rolls only got us so far, so we'll need to make a Target run to finish up. But along with a few organizational pieces we took our cabinets and drawers from messy and blue:




To clean, bright, and oh so happy! Especially for a cook like me.








Then, after we were all cleaned and organized, we put on the cabinet doors!




(Just don't look to the right. Or in the laundry room)




I'm in love with our new hardware. The dark bronze really pops against the crisp white cabinets, and it ties in the dark counters.




I have to say, even though it wasn't under the tree, wrapped with a bow, this may just be the best Christmas present ever.