Friday, July 30, 2010

Rods

This is one of those things I always struggle with. Picking out fabrics is easy. Bedding? No problem. Even furniture and artwork comes a little easier to me.

I can never pick out curtain rods.

I'm planning to whip up some yellow chevron curtains for our guest room tomorrow and Sunday. I know I want to use rings, so the rod needs to be round, but that is about all I know.

I love the squared, chrome rod we bought for the office.



But for the rest of the house, I've just reused an old one. So far, they're fine. I generally want the curtains to be the star of the show, and the rod to just be background.

Still, I'm struggling to find something for the guest room. It's definitely one of the more traditional rooms, even if I've punched it up in the color/accessories department. And it's 100%, the girliest room in the house. The color scheme of soft blue-green with accents of yellow, orange, and in your face PINK is all girl.

My first thought was that white was the way to go. But every white curtain rod I can find it just so frou-frou. I don't need crystals, I don't need swirls, I don't need a cage on the end. I pretty much just want plain and white. So why is it that the only place I can find this is at an upscale teen furniture store, where it will cost me like $50?

I'm assuming I'll have better luck when I actually hit a store.

But the bright side is, I found the rods I NEED for the living room. They're totally the wrong feel for the guest room. But I need them. With the dark gray metal and the acrylic finials. Yes.



But you know what's killing me? I know exactly which curtain rod I want, but I don't think they make it anymore. This one used to be available on a few websites, and I had it bookmarked on Amazon where I think I remembered it being around $25. But now that I need it, I can't find it. It's a sweet touch of whimsy that ties in our house's animal theme.



And nothing else seems right. Don't you just hate it when you know exactly what you want and you can't find (or make) it?