Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Black walls?

I know, it's a crazy thought for someone who hated the darkness of her house just a year ago.

But I'm really thinking I need a black accent wall in my living room.

We considered painting the back staircase wall a different color (it's currently a lighter, and clashing, shade of tan than the rest of the room).

living room 4

But we decided we wanted continuity on the way upstairs, so it will be the same color as the rest of the room.

We also considered wallpapering the back wall of the dining room in a bold pattern. But with our blue china cabinet and patterned backing, it would just be too much.

tile 043

And that really only leaves one spot that makes any sense.

living room 3

The fireplace.

Since this picture was taken, we've tiled with white and dark gray subway tile between the mantel and the fireplace insert itself.

tile 027

With that black TV and the black fireplace insert and the dark gray tile, I'm toying with the idea of painting the chimney wall flat black. Before you call me crazy, check out this black wall eye candy.






I can just see my brass candlesticks and some yet to be determined white accents shining from a black backdrop.

Now, I just have to convince my husband and myself that it's worth the $15 it'll cost to try it out.