Monday, September 21, 2009

Collections

When you hear the word collection, what do you think of?

Me? I think of curio cabinets filled with Precious Moments or commemorative plates. Rooms filled with shelves and shelves of dusty matchbox cars and legos. When Brett and I travel, we always pick up a refrigerator magnet to commemorate that trip. I don't mind the clutter on the fridge, and it's a nice way to keep souvenirs from taking over our house.

Other than that, I never thought I'd have a collection of anything. When we moved, we purged a lot of our knick-knacks, and decided we would only buy things for the house that we LOVE. Not sort of like, not "it'll do." We would rather have a sort of empty house than one filled with things we don't love.

One of those things that I love? Owls. I know, they're in right now. But I love them. And I found out this weekend that my grandmother collected owls too, back in their first heyday. And thanks to that first heyday and scouring some garage sales, the number of owls in my house grew from two to seven. And I think I officially have a collection on my hands.

For $3 total, I scored two sets of owl salt and pepper shakers and one metal figurine. I split up the sets and set up a flock on my mantel, and a flock out in the sunroom. I think each one is a nice mix of vintage and modern, which will hopefully fit in with the rest of our house once we're done. Hopefully we won't end up with a room filled with owls, but I think it looks pretty darn great for now.






What do you think?

As a side note, my husband somehow solved the plumbing issue. The knobs are brushed nickel, and they work. And that's all I care about for now.