Sunday, May 23, 2010

Laundry Room Face Lift

When I bought the fabric for the office curtains, I way over-estimated (this was before my design notebook that has all the measurements I need to estimate yardages) and bought 8 yards. Even though I made double width panels, I only needed like 5 yards, and was left with a lot of fabric.

I knew I wanted to inject some orange into the laundry room. After putting up the magnet message board from Ikea, I was ready for some more decor.

I started with a different fabric. I re-matted our marriage license receipt with a bold orange and red floral (the same fabric I used for the pillow shams in the guest room). I'm also using this fabric for the kitchen window, so it will tie these two rooms together.

I quickly sewed a window topper one night (seriously, 20 minute project easy) using the leftover office fabric. And then I tackled my first non-linear projects.

First, I used my old apron as a template and made a new one using the same orange fabric. I added orange gros-grain ribbon for ties at the neck, and at the waistband. Since my apron hangs on the hooks in our laundry room, I wanted it to tie in with the room's decor. (Sorry for the fuzzy picture)

randoms 042

My last project was a new ironing board cover. I figured the easy way out would be to sew the fabric on top of the existing cover. I got it pinned and wrestled the layers through the machine. I put it on and was happy to see that it worked! I set to pinning a hem, and turned it inside out to turn under the hem.

randoms 045

Again, I wrestled the layers through the sewing machine, and went to put it on our ironing board. And.... it didn't fit. One of my seams went a little too far and shortened it enough that we couldn't stretch it out.

So I bought a new ironing board cover from Target. It's not the original color I had in mind, but I do like it. And apron + curtain + ironing board would have been a lot of one fabric anyway, right? So maybe it's a happy accident.

Even though things weren't exactly as planned, I love the way it turned out. It's so bright and cheery, and it actually cheers me up a little when I'm doing laundry.

randoms 033

randoms 030

randoms 025