Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pop!

So now that we're closing in on ridding our house of the bright blues, greens, and yellows we moved in to, it's time to inject some fun into our spaces.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely, head over heels in love with the color scheme for our house. It's exactly up my alley, and I can't wait to see everything come together into one big cohesive ball of muted blues, greens, and greiges.



Ahhhh. Side note: I'm not quite sure why that yellow-green in the bottom left shows up as highlighter yellow on my screen. I assure you, it's not. It's definitely bright compared to the other colors we've chosen, but it's perfect for a shady sun porch.

But now that our house is becoming a light, muted paradise, I'm missing some of my favorite colors. Namely orange. I've known all along that I wanted to use a lot of orange in my house. Not in big, permanent ways, like walls or couches. But small touches of this strong color can have a huge impact. Too bad I wasn't finding anything in the color I needed. We wanted a poppy orange, with a little touch of red, and I just found NOTHING in those colors. Enter Ikea.

Last night, between dinner and dishes, we injected the first bit of color into our laundry room and kitchen area. I love the way it interjects a bit of fun into this utilitarian space.



And now that I'm blessed with a sewing machine that's simultaneously new to me and older than me, and an abundance of gorgeous gray and black fabric with pops of orange, I'm excited to keep going. I'm thinking ironing board cover and apron, then switching out the kraft paper liner behind the receipt for our marriage license to a fun patterned paper.

For now, though. This will do.




And look, you get to see our actual shopping list! I always giggle a little bit when I see shopping lists in pictures that say "French bread, brie, butter, basil, spring mix." Dude, we know you're buying diet soda and cereal. You're not fooling anyone. Brett said people would think we were faking it with the sparkling water, but it's true! I swear!

Now I'm on the lookout for magnetic notepads and little baskets and stuff. I seem to remember these from my locker days. Anyone know where I can find some cute, colorful ones?