Monday, February 22, 2010

Certifiable

I'm over the edge folks.

Seriously, if Brett wanted to have me committed to an institution today, all he would have to do it load one piece of evidence into his truck to show the judge.



As we were approaching a "furniture sale" that consisted of two items on someone's lawn, Brett barely slowed down. But then I yelled "I want that chair." If it hadn't just happened that we needed to turn around to get to the next sale anyway, I may never have convinced him.

"Look how old it is."

"It's probably really uncomfortable" (he was right on that count.

"It's the color of urine." (what in the world has he been drinking?"

"It's ugly."

I had to disagree with him on the last point. Thanks to some broken springs and some very worn upholstery, they were only asking $5 for it. After realizing they didn't have change for a $20, I talked them down to $3 and the chair was ours.

We brought it into the house, and laughed about the fact that it was the exact same color as our curtains. And sat in it.

It's not terribly uncomfortable actually. I mean, I won't be doing any lounging in it, but it can serve as a great cat lounger until we take care of it.

So what do I mean by take care of it? There definitely needs to be some repair done to the springs. We may be able to do that ourselves. Maybe. I'd also like to make new cushions for it (or have them made, more likely). It seriously needs to be reupholstered. I've called a couple of places and Brett will go get quotes this week. I'm sure it will be more than expected, but I'm kind of excited about the possibility of a custom chair in our future. Even if I have to pay more than the cost of a new chair to have it done.

See, I told you I was crazy. Prepare the straight jacket.