Friday, February 19, 2010

I know

I'm a bad blogger. I have really been trying to post twice a week, and I'm falling down. But the thing is, I'm falling down on my house too.

I feel like I've hit a wall. A big, blah, nothing on it, pinkish tan wall.

I've talked a lot about the colors in my house, and making them cohesive. And I'm so happy with the pallete of muted greiges, blues, and greens.

It's the other thing, the filling of the rooms with actual things, that's throwing me. I'm struggling here, guys. I'm confused about what my style is, what Brett's style is, and how to create that style in our house, for a reasonable price.

When I look back at the rooms we've done, and look at where I want to go, I just can't see how to make it work.

Today at the bookstore I browsed the Interior Design section, seeking out something I liked. Something I was drawn to. I know I like modern. But I don't like stark. And I like some traditional touches, but not a lot. Yet I love vintage finds.

I found one book with some inspiration pictures. Modern Glamour by Kelly Wearstler showed fun, modern spaces with a traditional twist.








Wow. So how do I make my house look like that?

I don't know, but I'm going to try.

Another designer who I think gets it exactly right? Jonathan Adler.

How about this gorgeous rug? Or this Greek Key wallpaper (Dining room, anyone)? Or this giraffe sconce? Once we have a little one, that will be mine.

Too bad the prices are pretty much out of our league. The sale section shows some pretty good deals on accessories, though. This, this, and this are calling my name.

A house with a few well placed Jonathan Adler pieces of whimsy would make me smile.

So the plan for now is to finish up with the painting. We'll continue with the injection of bright pops of color, and slowly start collecting more modern whimsical accessories. And we'll keep scouring the garage sales for fabulous finds like our record player and desk. And when it comes time for something new, we won't limit ourselves to the local market. Driving a few hours to Houston or Memphis (and lord knows we don't get there enough as it is) in the truck is totally worth it to have something we LOVE right?

Are you looking for your style? Try this style quiz from Sproost!

It said I was 100% Modern Elegance. I was skeptical, but I loved the pictures it showed me, so maybe they're right!