Sunday, July 5, 2009

Decisions, decisions

Well, my too nice for words mother and father have offered to give me my birthday present early since they said I'll need it before my furniture comes in. It's paint and all the supplies needed to paint our master bedroom! Since our furniture is coming on the 15th, we need to paint next weekend if at all possible. My parents ROCK my socks. They are so awesome, and they (mostly my mom, let's be honest) always know the perfect thing to get me for gifts. And yes, I'm totally fine with the face that my birthday gift involves hours of manual labor, provided by me.

So I took a little trip to one of my very favorite places in the world, Sherwin Williams. I even love the way it smells. And I feel like I'm in some special club when I walk in (the Preferred Customer Club? The club of people gullible enough to pay $45 for a gallon of paint?) and I'm instantly in a good mood. Even when they're super busy and I have to wait a half hour for three sample quarts, I like it. Because I get to talk to other people about colors, and look at all the paint chips, and all that super fun stuff.

I went in to get just paint samples, like I said. But when I mentioned that I was painting next weekend, the guy behind the counter said, "You know today is that last day for 30% off, right?" Yeah, I did know that, but I hadn't decided on a color yet so I couldn't buy the paint. But guess what he told me. You can buy untinted paint at the sales price, and you can come back at any time to have it tinted FOR NO CHARGE!

I've said it many times. I love Sherwin Williams for a lot of reasons. The paint goes on great. It lasts. It's incredibly true to the color swatches. And they have the best colors. But what I love most of all is the customer service. It's something that's lost on a lot of businesses today. But I love having a clerk help me (or my mom) to save 30% on the paint we're going to buy regardless. And they'll sit there for ten minutes helping me figure out how many gallons of paint to buy. I just love them. LOVE them. Even if my husband doesn't understand it.

So I came home with three gallons of untinted, on sale paint, and three quarts of Color to Go, in three very similar colors. After some quick painting, I had six areas of color on two different walls. And it turns out I like one color on one wall, and a different color on the other wall. So we narrowed it down to two. Two colors one shade apart on the same paint strip. So there's no in between for us to go to. I painted another area, between two areas of white molding so I could see it without any of that nasty pinky brown around. And I think I know which one we'll go with. But I'm going to live with it for a few days before I decide.

What do you think? From left to right in the first two, they're Oyster Bay, Comfort Gray, and Contented. In the third picture, it's Oyster Bay on the bottom and Comfort Gray on top. I just can't decide!