Sunday, November 7, 2010

New Additions

We have a couple of little additions that are brightening up our place lately.

Fall has arrived here in Baton Rouge, and we actually turned our heat on yesterday! We turned it back off after a couple of hours, but still! I wanted to leave it off until December, but Brett was a wuss. It was 60 degrees in the house, so I can't blame him.

Still, it has me in a blanket kind of mood! I was stuck in traffic the other night after a huge wreck on the interstate, and I stopped at the fabric store to pass some time. When I saw that wool was on super sale, I decided I needed a little plaid wool blanket. I picked out a gray wool (of course), with a little brown/black plaid. And I got some red trim to edge it. This was a real bitch to work with, I'll be honest. The trim was really hard to keep in place at first, but I got the hang of it as I went along.

new chair 013

I love the way it turned out! It's a great size and very warm, and makes me feel all New England-y or something. I've never been to New England though, unless NYC counts, so take that with a grain of salt.

We also have a new addition to the guest room. Last Saturday, I noticed an estate sale on my way out of the neighborhood, and I had a few minutes so I stopped in. There wasn't much that interested me, but I saw a little wooden side chair with a ripped upholstered seat, and wondered if I could get a deal. I got them down to $5, and ran down the street to get cash. I ended up paying in change, because we didn't have any small bills!

It had ugly black fake leather on the seat, with a few big rips in it. They included more of the same fabric with it, but I wasn't interested. I wanted the chair to look bright and cheery in our guest room.

Here it is, peeking our from behind the bed.

new chair 022

I used leftover curtain fabric to give it a sweet makeover.

new chair 020

I'm really doing my damnedest to convince Brett that we can let this chair function as an end table. A wall lamp and a vintage clock, and we'd be in business, right?

new chair 017

Not bad for $5.